Important Training Update
Please know we are working hard in the Brooksie office to make sure the 2020 Brooksie Way training program and race weekend events are on track and following all governmental guidelines and protocols recommended by our medical experts.
Brooksie Way's McLaren medical directors advise that we can continue to train OUTSIDE, in small groups of less than 10 and run or walk at least 6 feet from other group members.
In order to keep the training participants safe, the Brooksie Way Training Program is implementing the following changes to the spring Couch to 5K training program:
- Program start date will be rescheduled for Thursday, April 16th at 6:30 PM OUTSIDE at St. John Lutheran Church in Rochester.
- All training will take place outside in small groups of 10 people or less while maintaining a safe social distance of 6 feet between participants.
- If you are feeling sick and/or running a temperature, do NOT attend training sessions.
Are you ready to start a running or walking program but need help? Do you need some motivation to get off the couch? We have programs for you!
The Brooksie Way Couch to 5k
Have you thought about trying a running or walking program but don't know where to start?
Have you taken some time off from your regular running routine and would like some extra accountability and motivation?
The Brooksie Way 8-week program uses an interval training method proven to work. We offer participants the choice of a run/walk/run or walk/shuffle/walk program. Both choices are designed to help you complete a 5K injury-free while having fun!
The program begins on April 16, 2020. Weekly group workouts are on Thursdays at 6:30 pm at Runnin' Gear, 125 S. Livernois Road in Rochester.
The registration fee is $75 per individual or $69 per individual when 2 or more people register ogether as a team.
Your registration includes:
- weekly group runs or walks with trained group leaders
- training calendar
- technical training shirt
- FREE entry into your choice of two local 5K races
- 15% off shoes at Runnin' Gear stores
- educational information about running, walking, shoes, nutrition, and more!
10K and Half Marathon Training Program
The Brooksie Way 10K and Half Marathon Training Program is for those who have never participated in a race before and for those who are looking to improve their time goals. This program will prepare you to run or walk the Brooksie Way Half Marathon or 10K on September 27, 2020. All training groups meet weekly in Rochester on Thursday nights at 6:30 PM.
The program is 17 weeks and begins with a Placement Expo on May 28, 2020. Come prepared to comfortably run or walk a mile to place you in the proper group. The official Kickoff and your first group run will be on June 4th.
At the group workouts, no matter what distance you are training for, most running and walking will be done using a run/walk/run or walk/shuffle/walk interval method. We do have a non-interval half marathon group. We also request that you run or walk 2 other days of the week. The combination of the group workout and homework will ensure your success on race day. This program is for adults (ages 14 and up with an adult). No strollers, pets, or listening devices are allowed at group workouts.
The registration fee is $168 per person or $155 per person with two or more registered together in a team.
Your registration includes:
- Free entry into the Brooksie Way Half Marathon, 10K or 5K race on September 27, 2020
- Technical Training Shirt
- Weekly workouts and coaching with trained Group Leaders
- Free entry into 4 local participating 5K or 10K races
- 10 free visits and other discounts to the North Oakland YMCA
- 15% off shoes at Runnin’ Gear
- Educational information on running, walking, shoes, nutrition and more